Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Little dresses for Haiti

  


My mom has always been a crafter and a sewer. I suppose she is mostly to blame for me being the same way. She's also super active at her church doing all kinds of sewing projects to raise money for the vestry. Though I'm not a church goer, their latest project tugged at my heart strings and satisfied my urge to unload a ton of crap from my sewing closet. My mother and several friends and relatives are using up extra fabric to make "Little dresses for Africa."

We're sending ours to Haiti. I think the project originated in Africa, but the devastation in Haiti demanded that the project expand to include all the girls and boys rendered helpless, homeless, and apparently, naked. These are a few of the dresses I've made using up extra fabric. I've got about 7 of them to send so far. They're super easy to make so I encourage even  people who've never sewed before to try. It's a good way to start learning basic sewing techniques, use up fabric you don't know what to do with, and most importantly, send someone a pretty dress who needs it much more than you.

No comments:

Post a Comment